The Advanced AVP workshop builds on the tools we explored in the Basic Workshop by focusing on the underlying causes of violence, both in ourselves and in the world we live in. It is designed to give participants opportunities to rebuild community, review in depth the concept of Transforming Power and proceed to set individual and group goals for the focus of the remainder of the workshop.
(Prerequisite: Completion of Basic Workshop)
Such a focus topic might be:
- Fear — Reveals the hidden fears that usually underlie anger, jealousy and prejudice.
- Anger — Results in a deeper understanding of the personal situations that trigger anger.
- Power — (And powerlessness) Helps individuals understand power structures and get in touch with their inner power.
- Communication — Develops the skills and the ability to communicate in tense and stressful situations.
- Forgiveness — Builds the groundwork for true reconciliation and freedom from guilt.
- Bias Awareness — Builds awareness of stereotyping, bias and prejudice in personal relations.
- Racial Justice — Exploring the challenges people of color face.
- Man-woman relationships — Explores issues of fear, anger, power and powerlessness.
- Manly Awareness — What is it to be a man?
- Re-entry — Addressing the difficult transition from prison to community.
- And others — Whatever the group finds most compelling.
Register now for the Septeber 22 – 24, 2023 ADVANCED Workshop
Sponsored by AVP-NC in partnership with the NC Peace Resource Center.
Friday, September 22, 2023, 6:30pm to 8:30pm
Saturday, September 23, 2023, 9:00am to 6:00pm
Sunday, September 24, 2023 1:00pm to 6:00pm
How much? $20 registration fee for the weekend [additional tax-deductible donations
gratefully accepted for the scholarship fund] includes registration, snacks, beverages, and lunch
on Saturday [vegetarian option will be available] * Scholarships are available.
Please register no later than September 15, 2023 or if you have questions, contact Kathy Adams.
Registration fee is due September 15, 2023
CONTACT KATHY TO REGISTER or mail your check to:
Jamestown Friends Meeting
509 Guilford Road
Jamestown, NC 27282
Checks should be made payable to Jamestown Friends Meeting, a tax-exempt organization. Please note that the payment is for AVP training.
“I went into the workshop as a pessimist and I came out as a changed person. I was alive. I was actually alive. I liked what I saw in myself. I liked what I saw in the mirror.”
“AVP changed my life. I was actually happy and successful as a CEO, but that wasn’t enough. Now I have purpose and the skills to be the person I knew I could be.”
“If there is such a thing as a miraculous change in an individual, I can truthfully say that it was during my involvement with AVP that I began to grow from a person filled with hate, anger, and despair, into a person who believes he too is responsible for the protection, preservation and enrichment of humanity.”